//Written by Margeaux Perkins//
What’s one to do when they have a leftover pie crust from Pi Day (I know that seems like a long time ago but it was perfectly fine), some overripe bananas and too many 100 calorie snack packs of almonds? Make a vegan banana pie of course! I found a similar recipe to this online when I searched “healthy banana pie” in hopes of creating something delicious and good for me. Though that recipe was much more intense (think food processors, blenders, and other kitchen utensils a poor college student like me doesn’t possess), I managed to simplify and create a yummy and healthy frozen treat!
|Prep Time||5 Minutes|
|Cook Time||15 Minutes|
|Total Time||20 Minutes|
1 pie crust, baked according to directions on the box
3 medium bananas
2 tsp vanilla
¼ cup maple syrup (or for a non-vegan version, substitute with honey)
⅓ cup applesauce
½ whole almonds
⅛ teaspoon salt
- Mash bananas with a fork until smooth
- Add in vanilla, honey, applesauce, salt, mix with fork.
- Crush almonds until fine powder
- Add almonds and beat on high with a hand mixer
- Beat for 5-7 minutes or until mixture is smooth
- Pour into pre-made pie crust. Smooth surface with fork
- Freeze overnight
Keep frozen for best results!